Friday, June 22, 2007

Best Phone Call

There are many phases a parent longs to hear, but this one took me by surprise--"I'm coming home early, Mom."

I'll admit, I have spent a fortune on my skype credit just calling Africa. I just want to hear my daughter's voice--hear that she is safe and clean and fed. She has only the basic necessities (if that), but she still has a smile (most of the time). If I understand her situation correctly, she now appreciates the basic--bare basics--of life.


The sound of the water coming through the faucet when you first hear it spray...
The sound of a fan whirling in a room...
The sound of mom's voice on the other end of the phone...

"Oh Mom, I am so glad to hear your voice. Your call means the world to me." I have heard it over and over this summer. "Keep calling me, Mom. I need to hear your voice." No problem. Skype call on the way!

I just thought I would tell the world how happy I am that my daughter is coming home early from Africa.

Peace down the road.

No comments: